Hi everyone, welcome to my first of many posts on Watchmaking & Me covering the Essential Watchmaking Tools!
I only took my first steps into watchmaking as a hobby back in 2019, but feel I have learnt so much in that time, and wanted to share it with you.
I started studying watches as a hobby, but learned very quickly that this was not a cheap hobby, so prepare to spend money on tools. There always seems to be a new task that requires a special and unique watchmaking tool to complete.
In this post I am going to list the essential watchmaking tools and then in later posts review each tool type in detail. These will include my own tips and advice on where to ‘splash the cash’ and where to ‘go cheap’ with an alternative option. Hopefully these posts will help you avoid some of the mistakes I made along the way.
Actually, ordering the vast array of watchmakers tools is no easy feat, especially as so many of them are essential in the process at some point. I have counted over 60 different types of tools that I have used so far and counting. That doesn’t even include the various options available within each watchmaking tool type.
This is roughly ordered in the sequence a watchmaker will need each tool to disassemble, fix, clean, oil and reassemble the watch movement.
Some would argue that screwdrivers or tweezers are the number one tool of a watchmaker. My overly logical brain says that neither is of much use if you you are not able to remove the watch case back first. I’ve personally encountered this myself, far too many times!
The following list is by no means exhaustive and will no doubt grow over time.
- Watch Case Back Removal Tools
- Finger Costs and Watchmakers Gloves
- Watchmaking Loupe and Optics
- Watchmaking Screwdrivers
- Watchmaker Tweezers
- Watch Parts Containers
- Movement Holders
- Watchmakers Dust Covers
- Watch Dial Protectors
- Watch Hand Removal Tools
- Watchmakers Bench Mat
- Movement Case Cushions
- Cannon Pinion Remover
- Watchmakers Pegwood
- Watchmakers Pith Wood
- Watchmakers Dust Blower
- Watchmakers Putty
- Watchmakers Magnet
- Watchmaking Oils and Greases
- Tool Sharpening [Coming Soon]
- Watch Cleaning Solutions [Coming Soon]
- Plastic Liquid Dropper Bottles [Coming Soon]
- Brushes [Coming Soon]
- Watch Papers / Bristol Paper [Coming Soon]
- Staking Block [Coming Soon]
- Pin Vice [Coming Soon]
- Watch Case Holder [Coming Soon]
- Staking Set [Coming Soon]
- Watchmakers Hammer [Coming Soon]
- Watch Strap Spring Bar Remover [Coming Soon]
- Compass [Coming Soon]
- Demagnetiser [Coming Soon]
- Mainspring Winder [Coming Soon]
- Oiling Kit [Coming Soon]
- Mainspring Oiling Tweezers [Coming Soon]
- Movement Hand Pusher [Coming Soon]
- Cleaning Cloths [Coming Soon]
- Desk Lamp [Coming Soon]
- Clamp On Desk Vice [Coming Soon]
- Timegrapher [Coming Soon]
- Watch/Jewellery Cleaning Machine [Coming Soon]
- Tool Box [Coming Soon]
If you think I’ve missed anything or have anything to add, please comment below.